Chronic pain (most commonly lower back pain) is defined as back pain on a daily basis for more than six months. Recent research on chronic back pain shows that roughly 13% of the Irish population suffer from back pain and it costs the Department of Social and Family Affairs some €350 million in disability payments each year.
A European based survey has been used by Chronic Pain Ireland to increase awareness for chronic back pain sufferers in Ireland. This survey highlights some concerning facts;
- Even though 1 in 4 people surveyed claim they are taking the correct medication for their back pain, 80% of them are still suffering inordinate levels of back pain
- 86% of Irish patients felt that back pain had a detrimental effect on the quality of their lives
- 46% of patients feel alone in tackling their back pain
- 41% of Irish patients feel depressed or anxious as a result of their back pain
- 77% of Irish patients feel that their back pain will make them have to stop working completely
- A year after the survey, more than half of all surveyed reported no change in their back pain levels, with 14% of Irish patients reporting the back pain had gotten worse.
The survey findings point to a number of different reasons for the patients’ ongoing back pain. It is reported that many of the patients may not be receiving the appropriate medication or pain relief treatment to control their back pain – “despite a year of treatment 80% of patients are still suffering from moderate to severe chronic pain, only 6% had been prescribed strong opioid medication at the end of the year-long research, with 64% resorting to over the counter (OTC) medication to try to manage their back pain either alone or in combination with other therapies.”
The surprisingly high number of chronic back pain sufferers not taking their prescribed medication can be due to the concerning side effects that are experienced, with more than half of the patients reporting experiences of at least one side effect. As a result of these side effects, many chronic back pain sufferers are not correctly treating their symptoms and continuously struggling with their daily activities. This may be due to the fact that they are unaware of alternative methods to medication.
We at The Joint Treatment Centre, would like to offer you an alternative solution to your chronic back pain, by providing a range of pain relief treatments and chiropractic adjustments which we believe will alleviate your suffering. There is no medication required, so there are no side effects experienced. Through chiropractic adjustments, spinal decompression, deep tissue massage or a host of other pain relief treatments, we will have the skills and expertise to help reduce and hopefully eliminate your pain.